“But he answered, ‘It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.'” Matthew 4:4 (WEB)
Psalm 119:92, “Unless Your law had been my delight, I would have then perished in my affliction.”
“who comforts us in all our affliction, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, through the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” 2 Corinthians 1:4 (WEB)
Simply put, dear friend, this is an ongoing compilation of resources He has graciously sent my way to help me on my own journey which has not always been a smooth ride. Indeed, the past few years have been quite bumpy and difficult. I offer these various provisions in no particular order to you beyond the Bible as a fellow traveler along the path He has set for you in hopes they may be a source of encouragement and strength just as they have been for me.
What’s in your spiritual backpack?
- The Bible…of course!
- The Valley of Vision, A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions, edited by Arthur Bennett. Brought to my attention by my mentor, 2Tim.
- https://iblp.org/questions/how-does-god-work-through-birth-death-and-fulfillment-vision (from the Institute of Basic Life Principles) Brought to my attention by my pastor, Jon. (Note: my apologies on this link as I’m having trouble getting it to link to the exact page of interest.)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbHqfinFtDw “How long must I wait on God? Hope in the Dark: Week 2” Message by Craig Groeschel of Life Church from Habakkuk 2.
- Pursue beyond Sunday corporate worship. What do I mean by that? Yes, Sunday church, of course, but let the Lord attend to your needs through small group fellowship in between Sundays that frankly can’t be completely met by sitting in a pew at church once a week. He’s given me a mid-week Bible study group led by our pastor. This group consists of seasoned and faithful committed believers who have been around the block of life a time or two with the Lord. Priceless experience and wisdom. He’s also blessed me with a mentor, 2Tim, as I like to call him, with whom I meet weekly as well for discipleship training. These “extras” are all about relationship…both here on this earth, and with our heavenly Father. Let Him expand your vision.
- Journaling. No surprise there coming from me, eh? Each day I’ll put into my journal something that speaks truth into my life. Scriptures, quotes, whole or partial devotionals by various authors are typical entries for me. Specific prayer requests get circled…and His provision noted later. Some are still waiting for His answer, by the way. Also included are snippets of my thoughts and feelings of “where I’m at” on any given day. There’s something about putting it into a “book” that helps further lock things into my mind and heart. It’s especially encouraging to go back and read what the Lord has accomplished over time.
- Uplifting music. Years ago I noticed a decided improvement in my attitude whenever I was driving when I listened to positive and encouraging music. One day I happened to be listening to Louie Armstrong’s “It’s a Wonderful World” and another car cut me off on the highway. My response? “OK, have it your way. I have no desire to get back at you.” The peace I experienced in that moment was such a relief from my normal not-always-Christian reaction! Remarkable! Since that time I try and surround myself with as much positive Christian and uplifting music as possible. Let Him transform you with music that touches your heart, mind, and soul.
- http://www.groundworksministries.com Read the Bible through in a little over 3 years by reading a chapter a day in a devotional teaching format.
- The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
- Red Sea Rules by Robert J. Morgan
- Desiring God by John Piper
- The Attributes of God by A.W. Tozer
- Wild at Heart by John Eldredge
- The Westminster Shorter Catechism by G.I. Williamson
- The Journey of Desire by John Eldredge
- Francis A. Schaeffer Trilogy: The God Who Is There; Escape From Reason; He Is There and He Is Not Silent by Francis A. Schaeffer
- The Chosen. https://studios.vidangel.com/the-chosen
- Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges